“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6
What is Prayer?
In its simplest form prayer is “talking to God.” Prayer is not meditation, passive reflections, or repeated words or phrases, it is the created one talking to the One who created. The privilege of prayer is for the believer in Jesus Christ to bring their requests to God the Father. It is how we share our emotions, desires, and dreams with God and fellowship with Him. So often we approach our prayer time as if it was a one-way telephone conversation or as if we were reading a Christmas wish list.
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” II Chronicles 7:14 KJV
Does God Hear My Prayers?
God knows everything, we call that omniscience. So yes, God hears our prayers. The question then becomes “why does God not answer my prayers?” This question can be complicated, but let’s take a look.
- When we chose to hang on to sin and not repent of our ways God will not hear our prayers. Check out Isaiah 1:15 and Proverbs 28:9
- God does not hear when we ask for selfish things. Check out James 4:3
- When our prayers do not align with God’s will they will not be heard. Check out I John 5:14.
- When we do not ask in faith you can be assured that God will not hear us. Check out Mark 11:34 and I John 5:14- 15.
- God has something better than what we are asking for. Check out Ephesians 3:20.
- Sometimes we might have to wait on God’s timing for answered prayer. Check out Isaiah 55:8 and Ecclesiastes 3:1-11.
- You will not forgive others. Check out Mark 11:25-26 and Matthew 6:14.
These are just a few reasons why God chooses not to answer your prayer. He still loves you and
always gives His children what is best.
What is the Right Way to Pray?
Does God Always Answer Prayers?
Bible Studies on Prayer
Latest Bible Study – Daniel Prayer